Dear Husband, This Father’s day I wanted to take a second to acknowledge you. And I’m not talking about the “acknowledgement” you usually get, like when I lecture you about screen time. 😉 I want to make sure you know how important you truly are […]
Month: June 2017
If you haven’t read my first two previous posts, click here for my post on what Diastasis Recti is in the first place! And click here for the first part of my Diastasis Recti journey and Tummy Team review. All caught up? Great! I’m just […]
I don’t know about you, but it feels whenever I start doing really well eating healthy, I suddenly NEED sweets. I mean really intense sweet tooth. Like the entire world’s fate depends on how quickly I can find and inhale cheesecake. (Spoiler alert: you all are going to be just fine)
But if you are with me and would like a sweet option that doesn’t undo the day, this one is for you!
Below is the recipe for this scrumptious delight.
Healthy Chocolate Chia Seed Dessert
You will need:
Plain Greek yogurt
These are the chia seeds I personally use. These are affiliated links, meaning if you purchase from these links, it helps me keep this site and all of it’s info free 🙂
First take 1-2 cups of plain Greek yogurt, and about 4 spoonful’s of Chia seeds and mix together. Leave (covered) in refrigerator over night so you don’t end up with crunchy yogurt 🙂
The next day before eating add a capful of vanilla extract and mix into yogurt. Now you can eat just like this and it’s pretty tasty. However if you want to go all out, you can top with walnuts, honey and dark chocolate. You can either just chop up the chocolate bar or use a vegetable peeler to make mini “curls”. Drizzle with a little honey and you have a pretty satisfying bowl.
*Tip. Add Strawberries and almonds for extra fiber, protein and vitamin c.
Leave in the comments pictures of your own creations!
I hope this dessert treats you well, and as always have a wonderful day <3
Introducing … baby bee number three! Baby Bee was born weighing 10.5lbs. So expect some feel good postpartum pics coming your way 😉 He is such a little sweetheart! And baby makes three. Three boys that is! God knew I was already exaughsted, and gave […]
Rolling around in the freshly cut grass. Drinking water straight from the hose. Running until your legs give out. This is what comes to mind when I picture summer break.
But the reality is that summer break has actually become a time kids gain weight.
According to a new study, thanks to the ever increasing screen time and unhealthy food habits, children are actually less healthy than during the school year.
A quote from an article in The New York Times really hit home for me.
The obesity rates will continue to remain high, Mr. von Hippel said, “until we get serious about reducing screen time and confronting food marketing practices outside of school.”
As a parent, this really makes me realize, no matter how small, I need to focus on making changes to our daily routine. And I know it’s not easy. Parents don’t get summer break from work. We are exaughsted, constantly multi tasking, and pushed to our limits often.
But if we make even just a few small changes, they can add up big time.
Because this is something we can actually have some affect on, I’ll be doing a summer series to help you make the most of your child’s summer. Subscribers make sure to check your inbox (sometimes spam folder!) for more resources heading your way!
First order of business is to focus on the fun! Below I’ve written my list of things to do with your children to help avoid the boredom trap. Although not all of these ideas are “fitness focused” simply keeping your children busy can help with screen time and mindless eating alone!
25 things to do with your kids this summer
1. Run through the sprinklers
2. Go for a bike ride
3. Plant something- you might have acres and acres, or you might have a small porch with just enough space for a small pot of herbs. (Like us!) No matter what space you have, gardening is so much fun for kids.
4. Go Berry Picking– I LOVE strawberry/blueberry picking. And the boys do too. They have their own baskets and they love getting to eat the berries they know they picked all by themselves. Which also leads to a healthy snack as well!
5. Meet your Local Heros– Fire fighters and police officers. There’s a pretty good chance your child is already a fan. Call your local office to see if they are available to meet or tour. Or if they will be doing any events you and your child can attend.
6. Do a 5k as a Family
7. Skip Rocks- a classic and actually fairly relaxing, family activity.
8. Go to the library– again those scorching days need some indoor activities. Take advantage of every story time and reading club your local library has to offer. And don’t forget to check their events, ours sometimes has concerts for Kids too.
9. Go to the carousel
10. Have a backyard campout
11. Indoor Dance Party– unfortunately some days are just too hot to stay outside for long. I personally get sluggish on those days too. The cure all for my family is always music with an impromptu dance party!
12. Go to your Local children’s museum
13. Do “outside painting”- fill a bucket with water, grab a paintbrush and find some sidewalk!
14. Go to the Farmer’s Market- a fun way to get a conversation going on how food is grown!
15. Go for a Hike
16. Go to the zoo- my personal favorite thing to do 🙂
17. Go to the Park- although obvious, you can’t beat the natural play your kids will get. Or the price 😉
18. Go to local concerts
19. Go look at the stars- grab some blankets, snacks, and make a night of it.
20. Have a picnic
21. Teach your kids how To cook- pick an easy summer friendly recipe, like fruit salad, and make it with your kiddos.
22. Go to a 4th of July parade
23. Go to the mall– grab a bag of quarters and have fun on the quarter rides you usually don’t have time for. Make a day out of it and bring some snacks. 🙂
24. Have a sidewalk chalk party- bring extra to the park and make some other kid’s day too!
25. Go on a nature scavenger hunt
And there you have it! I hope this list was of some help for you. Let me know in the comments the ways you keep your kids healthy and active during school breaks!
As always have a wonderful day ♡